Monday, October 12, 2009

When the Words Don’t Come, Laugh Instead

If I let myself think about it, my heart breaks at the acknowledgment that Owen can’t talk, and may never be able to. There are times when he is sitting with us in the room and we don’t even realize he came in. I am wracked with guilt and sadness imagining all the thoughts he might be wishing he could share. All the desires he has that we may never know about. All the fears that he cannot express.

Then we have moments like this.




And I laugh with him. And for that moment, all is right.
** please ignore Grandma’s comments about the dog. Just focus on the giggles.

P.S. Don't forget on Wednesday I'm hosting another round of Willowjak's Wednesday Memes.
Click HERE for the refresher and come back on Wednesday to join in and to add your site to Mr. Linky.





8 comments:

Mike said...

I wish I could communicate happiness and joy like I just witnessed. Words are not always the answer, I would trade a million words fora few minutes of pure joy!

Anonymous said...

That is the best laugh, seriously.

Viv said...

I think he is saying all he needs to there! What a cutie!

Twisted Cinderella said...

Oh that is just so sweet!

Sarah Andrews said...

I didn't realize that Owen couldn't talk. What type of Augmentative communication does he use?

Stacey said...

Hi Sarah,
Both of my twins are non-verbal, though Will is on his way. His articulation needs a lot of work, but we understand him. He mostly only uses words to request with a handful of phrases. Owen is apraxic (though not formally diagnosed). He uses Picture Exchange and some sign. We are not quite ready for an Aug. Comm. Device, but are hoping to have one for him within the year.

Liz Mays said...

That smile and those giggles radiated everything he's not able to say. Absolutely wonderful!

Sarah Andrews said...

Hi Stacey:

I checked back to see if you answered. PECS is such a great tool for communication. Is he just requesting with one pic? Or is he able to do a two pic combo?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Grab My Button
LINK TITLE

I'm a featured blogger on mamapedia voices

Blog Archive


Follow Me and I Will Follow You!

Subscribe
Autism Bloggers
Powered By Ringsurf